Age Minimum (with Adult): 5+, Minimum Age:5+
Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service 2019
This event is full! Due to the high level of interest in this event, we are unfortunately unable to accept additional volunteers at this time.
Since 2006, Boston Cares has organized A Day ON, Not a Day OFF projects for MLK Day that have collectively engaged 6,250 individuals of all ages from Boston’s neighborhoods and surrounding communities.
On January 21, 2019 Boston Cares will organize 600 volunteers at the Boston Latin School, to support local immigrants and refugees through the creation of ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) learning tools for community organizations and schools throughout the city of Boston. Volunteers will create English journals, conversation games, and vocabulary and citizenship flashcards for organizations for immigrant and refugee families learning English and preparing for the citizenship exam. New this year, volunteers will also create magnetic lapdesks and phonetics kits for beginners who may not be literate in their native languages.
MLK Day is always kid-friendly and open to youth 5+. No orientation is required. Volunteers will select an activity station based on age and interest when they arrive at MLK Day.
Please note: If you are registering a group, we must limit groups to 25 members per organization. This is to ensure that MLK Day is available and accessible to everyone who wants to participate.
Inspired to volunteer more throughout the year? We are offering a New Volunteer Orientation following MLK Day at 1:00pm. After completing this orientation, you will have access to hundreds of volunteer projects!
Things to know about signing up:
- Space is limited so sign-up soon - pre-registration is required!
- You do not need to have attended an orientation with Boston Cares to participate in this project.
- If you are under 18 years old, you will need to bring a signed waiver in order to participate. You can download the waiver here.
- To register youth under the age of 13, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with youth names and birthdates after you register yourself.
- Group size must be limited to 25 volunteers!
- There must be one adult for every three youth under 18!
Instructions for how to register a team can be found here!
Please note that registration below is for creating ESOL learning tools. If you are interested in the bed building project, please click below to become a sponsor.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: