9/11 Day of Service & Remembrance - Event Support Staff
9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance Boston Meal Packaging Event – September 12, 2022 Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center, 1350 Tremont Street
About the Volunteer Opportunity We are looking for a group of motivated, service-oriented volunteers to help orchestrate a large-scale hunger relief event on Monday, September 12th, 2022, including set-up on Sunday, September 11th, 2022. This important Boston event is hosted by 911day.org and is one of ten signature 9/11 Day-supported projects being held in observance of the 21st anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. More than 500 volunteers from area corporations will pack more than 100,000 meals for hungry local families. 9/11 Day is now the nation’s largest annual day of charitable engagement, officially recognized under federal law. Each 9/11, nearly 30 million Americans volunteer, donate to charities, and perform other good deeds to promote national unity and empathy, in honor of the victims of 9/11 and those who rose in service in response to the attacks. Listed below are a variety of positions critical to our success:
TIMING: Choose one (or more!) of three possible lead volunteer shifts: Sunday, September 11 (Event Set Up)
- 1:00pm – 3:00pm
- Morning - 7:30am - 11:30am (includes breakfast)
- Afternoon - 11:00am - 3:00pm (includes lunch)
SPECIFIC ROLES, DETAILED:
Role and requirements: Our set-up team will help organize packaging lines, equipment, signage, staging ingredients, and all that is needed to prepare the space for the next day’s activity.
Please note: Ability to lift 30-50 lbs is a plus, but not required.
2. Table Captains
Role and requirements: Table captains will help to orient our general volunteers as they arrive at the event, will instruct them as to the various packing roles once they arrive at their tables, and oversee two packaging lines while meals are packed. They should be comfortable speaking in front of and instructing groups, comfortable with ensuring that safety protocols are followed by all volunteers, and ready to help keep energy high and atmosphere fun during packing. As a Table Captain, you will:
- Attend the training session held prior to general volunteer arrival
- Place incoming meal-packaging volunteers in their various positions around the packaging line
- Explain how each of the roles at the packaging line works and why they are important
- Demonstrate how each of the positions around the packaging line works
- Keep watch over the ingredients to make sure they are kept filled
- Ensure that food-safe practices are met and maintained
- Hair nets
- No food or drinks at the packaging line
- Any product spilled on floor is discarded
- Nothing is dropped into the ingredients
- Hands re-cleaned and new gloves issued if a break is taken
- Maintain adequate supplies of meal bags
- Instruct volunteers how to use “Call for Ingredients” signs
- Clean the packaging line between each shift
- Work with heavy lifters to ensure ingredient levels are maintained
- Work with runners to replace faulty equipment
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
3. Logistics Role Requirements: Our Logistics team will help unload the ingredients from their bags/cases/cartons and keep a continual supply at individual packing lines. They will work with Table Captains to ensure efficient and proper packaging of individual bags into boxes. They will seal boxes and move to designated pallet areas. Please note: you must be able to lift 30-50 lbs. preferred 4. Hospitality Role and Requirements: Our hospitality team will help to support either our VIPs (in the VIP room) and/or Support Staff and Lead Volunteers (in their training room) by working to ensure that meals are set out and served on time, that spaces remain clean and organized, that drinks/snacks are replenished as needed, and that all other onsite VIP needs are met. 5. Registration/Check-in Role and Requirements: Our registration volunteers will help to check volunteers, VIPs and members of the media in as they arrive. It will be your job to scan tickets, to troubleshoot registrant issues, and to point all general volunteers toward hairnet/glove pickup. 6. Greeters/Directional Support Role and Requirements: Greeters will meet general volunteers after they’ve registered, hand them hair nets and gloves, then point them towards the stanchions where they will queue and receive training. Help to welcome and direct volunteers as they arrive, and as they exit the facility/packing area. After signing up below for your preferred shift, you must read and agree to the waiver that follows. We will coordinate with you in advance about your preferred role. We can't guarantee you will receive that role but will do our best to do so! Thank you for volunteering at the 9/11 Day of Service & Remembrance.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 16+, Minimum Age:16+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: