Volunteer Service Awards
Each year, Boston Cares recognizes outstanding volunteers, volunteer leaders, and community and corporate partners for their exceptional work over a 12-month period. These award and recognition programs offer a chance to appreciate those who are extraordinary difference makers in the Boston Cares community.
President's Volunteer Service Award & Boston Cares Service Champions Award:
Boston Cares has shifted their service year in alignment with the calendar year to January 1 – December 31. Boston Cares will consider hours served for January 1, 2022 - December 31, 2022.
The President's Volunteer Service Award Criteria
The President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA), issued by the Corporation for National and Community Service and administered by Points of Light, recognizes volunteers who meet certain service hour requirements over a 12-month period with Gold, Silver and Bronze levels of recognition. Recipients receive a certificate and congratulatory letter from the President of the United States. Boston Cares is a certifying organization through which volunteers can qualify for this award provided they meet the requirements below. No application is necessary, however, all self-reported hours must be input into the volunteer’s Boston Cares account by the end of the service year in order for those hours to count towards a service award.
- Volunteers must have a Boston Cares account and have gone through a New Volunteer Orientation in order to qualify.
- Volunteer must have completed at least 50% or more of their service completed in the service year through Boston Cares or active Boston Cares Community Partners.
- The majority of service hours should be completed locally, benefitting the Greater Boston area
- The recipient (s) must be a United States citizen or a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States.
- Awards are issued for service hours* served within a 12-month time period or over the course of a lifetime.
- Awards are issued for volunteer service only; additional levels of participation with the organization (i.e., charitable support) are not a factor considered for the award.
- Court-ordered community service does not qualify for the award.
- Awards are issued by approved Certifying Organizations.
- Service must be with an approved Certifying Organization that is legally established in the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or one of the U.S. territories.
- More details on the award and requirements can be found at https://presidentialserviceawards.gov
*self-reported hours are included.
There are other ways we recognize service through our Boston Cares Champion Award and the Outstanding Volunteer Award. Learn more here.
Any questions about eligibility or receiving these awards should be directed email@example.com