Allies for Immigrants: English for Speakers of Other Languages
a partnership with English for New Bostonians, supported by the Cummings Foundation
Corps volunteers are a part of a network of volunteers who share a passion for enhancing English skills for adult learners. Volunteers support a classroom teacher, facilitate a small group in an integrated ESOL/technology skills course, lead a conversation group or citizenship class, tutor a student one-on-one, or coordinate Allies for Immigrants tutors at a program. No prior experience in ESOL teaching or tutoring is necessary. Allies for Immigrants: ESOL Corps volunteers assist at numerous Boston-area ESOL programs and recieve year round training opportunities as participants in the program, trainings are facilitated by English for New Bostonians. This initiative is made possible with support from Cummings Foundation.
Commitment: Corps volunteers deepen their community engagement by committing to serve weekly, or a minimum of twice a month depending on program needs.
We are looking for volunteers who are:
All ESOL (Classroom & Conversation) Corps Volunteers will need to complete and pass a CORI Background check
Sites are listed below based on the type of roles volunteer tutors can expect to do take on as a volunteer tutor. Depending on the site, volunteers may be expected to support their sites in a variety of ways - flexibility is key for this volunteer experience!
At the classroom sites, volunteers can expect to support mostly in the classroom as a volunteer teacher or classroom assistant.
Check out our partners for the ESOL (Classroom) Corps:
Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center (BCNC) in Quincy
- Volunteers will provide classroom support Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday during the 10:00am class & the 6:00pm classes **This site requires an in person interview and additional training before placement**
St. Marks Community Education Program
- Volunteers will provide classroom support Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at 6:30pm during ESOL classes, support conversation groups on Saturdays, and have the opportunity to be trained to lead citizenship classes for St. Marks Citizenship for All project
Mujeres Unidas Avanzando
- Volunteers will provide classroom support Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday during the 9:30am class & the 12:30pm classes **This site requires an in person interview and additional training before placement**
East Boston Harborside Community School
- Volunteers will provide classroom support Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday from 3:00pm to 5:30pm
Gardner Pilot Academy **currently not accepting new volunteers **
- Volunteers will provide classroom support Tuesdays & Thursdays 6:00pm-8:30pm
At the conversation group sites, volunteers can expect to be in charge of teaching as a lead teacher, or be in charge of a small group. These opportunities also may include one-on-one tutoring opportunities where volunteer tutors will be matched directly with a student.
Check out our partners for the ESOL (Conversation) Corps:
Gilbert Albert Community Center
- Volunteers are needed to lead conversation groups on Mondays & Wednesdays from 6pm-8pm
English Innovations at Maverick Landing
- Assist in the English Innovations Classroom as a team leader of a small group and lead certain components of lessons for the whole class Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday from 5:30pm-8pm
NOAH (Neighborhood of Affordable Housing)
- Tutor one-on-one and with small groups of learners to improve their English skills on Tuesday-Friday 5pm-6pm & 6pm-8pm and on Saturdays for Mock Citizenship class 10am-1pm
ABCD Head Start Adult ESOL Program
- Volunteers will provide classroom support & tutor students one-on-one Monday & Wednesdays from 9:30am-12:30pm
Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center (BCNC) in Boston
- Tutor one-on-one and with small groups of learners to improve their English skills **This site requires an in person interview and additional training before placement**
Please fill out the form below to express interest in Allies for Immigrants ESOL Corps program and someone from the Boston Cares team will follow-up with you regarding next steps. Please note there are new tutor trainings offered in the Fall (September/October) and Winter/Early Spring (January-March).
Are you currently an Allies for Immigrants ESOL Corps Tutor?
Please click on the yellow box labeled with your Allies site pathway (Classroom or Conversation) below to log your tutoring hours at your site.